Friday, December 31, 2010

Guest post: "Girls who sew can eat venison jerky and like it too" by Huzunteit

I'm pleased to be the first "Guest Blogger" for Ahmelie and am going to do my best not to screw this up.  I'm Huzunteit, or the Huzband behind all that's well and good with Ahmelie.

I can't sew, but I can eat.  And I can shoot things.  With arrows.  For just as Ahmelie heads to her studio to crank out some new renditions of modern handmade goodness, so do I head to the deer stand to take in one of my own life "passions".  Nothing says "I can provide for my family" like an arrow through a buck in November.  Ahmelie usually gets so excited after hearing of another successful venture in the woods that she breaks 3 needles on her sewing machine instead of the normal 2.

After a "victory" in the woods, one is left with a lot of meat.  The question then becomes: To process...Or, not to process?  With an Excalibur Food Dehydrator, some fresh venison, a good recipe, and a little free time, you can skip processing at the local meat market and indulge yourself in your very own home made venison jerky.  The jerky below is me:



Here's my latest recipe:

Hot and Sweet Venison Jerky
This jerky recipe flavors the venison with the heat of cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes, and is balanced by the sweetness of brown sugar and molasses. The recipe makes enough marinade for five pounds of sliced venison.
1 cup of soy sauce
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of molasses
1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons of garlic powder
2 tablespoons of onion powder
2 tablespoons of canning salt
1 tablespoon of red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon of black pepper
2 teaspoons of Morton® Tender Quick®
1 teaspoon of powdered cayenne pepper


Make sure that the sugar and salt are completely dissolved before adding the marinade to the venison. Marinate at least one day, and up to two before dehydrating.


Now, be aware: the red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper may sprout a new hair follicle or two on your chest.  No problem...that's normal.


Enjoy!

1 comment: